Monday, March 21, 2011

Statistics On Pedicures And Infections

Why do we write the death

Meghan O'Rourke
of a loved one? Recently released two papers that follow step by step the death of a person who is close to us: Joyce Carol Oates , A Widow's Story , on the death of her husband Raymond Smith (released at Here mid-February), and Meghan O'Rourke , The Long Goodbye (Riverhead), on the death of his mother. The book Oates was very reviewed. I did not discuss it because I had read an advance on New Yorker and I had found it uninteresting - mechanical and cold. The memorial O'Rourke released in April, but the 'anticipation on New Yorker I thought that was very intense, moving and strong (and FOTA is a beautiful mother of the poet on horseback). ; The two writers have compared the topic recently on the New York Times . O'Rourke, "As her disease progressed, I found myself writing down all the Experiences We had - the day she got giddily high on morphine at the doctor's office; the afternoon we talked, painfully, about her upcoming death. It helped me externalize what was happening. After she died, I kept writing - and reading - trying to understand or just get a handle on grief, which was different from what I thought it'd be. It wasn't merely sadness; I was full of nostalgia for my childhood, obsessed with my dream life and had a hard time sleeping or focusing on anything but my memories."  nyt ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment